Friday 13 July 2012

It's PB time!

Yes, it's PB time!

No I'm not talking about Peanut Butter Jelly time, this PB here refers to Personal Best.
Last afternoon, at about 3.15pm, Lenney Fuad, My Dad and I set off to do one clockwise loop around MacRitchie. As it has been some time since I last did the clockwise route, I kinda forgot about some uphills, espcially the one after the Ranger Station. I was running at a very easy fat burning pace of about 7 to 8 minutes/km, I was also trying out my new hydration bag that Abang Sam bought for me. It is pretty good and snug fitting, it does make a little noise when running, but that is perfectly fine with me. I ran bare-bodied as I wanted to try how it would feel like with a hydration bag on too, it was fine and I didn't get any abrasions. The run was very enjoyable as Fuad shared many interesting stories with me. Fuad used to weigh 140kg, and he has lost almost 70 kg through regular exercise and monitoring of his diet.  I will be running alongside Fuad for the TNF 25km run.

As he likes to put it, ''It is as tough some one stepped out of me!'"
Well that sure is true. He lives to his motto of enjoying what you do. He didn't take any pills or supplements during his weight loss period, he preferred the natural way. Well, although it did take about 2-3 years for him to shed off the 70kg, it was a fun journey that he enjoyed. He is a person who mantains a very low-key, but he is very knowledgeable, friendly and wise. It was a great pleasure to have join us again after almost 3 months, we last ran with him in the 2XU Compression Run. Fuad was contstantly monitoring Lenney's Pace and at the 9km mark, Fuad asked Lenney to push for his PB.

"Think of something that makes you angry, GO FOR IT LENNEY!"

That's a great way to fire yourself up for the final stretch of runs, and yes, Lenney did achieve his 10km PB with 1:10, a great achievement for him. And I'm sure he will achieve an even better timing at flat road races. It is an added bonus in addition to the 13kg he has lost since he has started running last year. It is really inspiring to see people around me defying the odds, and making jaws drop to the floor.

After the run..
I'm proud to call these brothers my fellow Maverickz. Maverickz is a new community that Lenney, Fuad and I are honored to be part of. We'll fill you guys in about Maverickz in the posts to come, in the meantime, like their Facebook Page to keep updated.

Well, it's Monday again, hang in there till you can say TGIF.

Cheers,
Ariffin Sha

No comments:

Post a Comment