Thursday 10 May 2012

Running on the Sun

Today was the last day of our examinations, and what better way to celebrate then to rip up the trails!
And that's what we did, immediately after school Lenney and I went to MacRitchie Reservoir at about 1145 for a run. We originally planned to do 10km, but since the sun was boiling down on us and Lenney was feeling dizzy, we gave ourselves a discount and did a 5km run. It was also in preparation for our school's 4.8km cross country in October, but for now we did 5km, following the MR25 Time Trail Route. Where you start running from the Zig-Zag Bridge untill Fitness Corner B, run 100m towards the Lornie Road exit, then U-Turn.

Since the sun was boiling down, I went for a bare-bodied run. And I was wearing my Bikilas too, didn't face much problems with it, but it did get submerged in the mud and gunk at times, but it dried up fast and didn't enter the shoe. The run was a good one, took advantage of the downhills on the return leg and finished with a time of 23:27, about half a minute faster than my Time Trial in February, a good run! My calves were aching too, after my 30 minute anaerobic stair climbing workout followed by 30 minutes of conditioning yesterday. But nonetheless, I felt good after the run despite the sun boiling down. I think once you get accustomed to running in hot weather, you can use it to your advantage too.

Lenney, went for a 5km recovery run with a slow and steady pace. He got familiar with the cross country route too. The heat got the better of him as he felt dizzy towards the end, but being the fighter he was he did complete his recovery run in a steady 42 minutes.

After a warm-down, we headed back to the Amenities Center. It was supposed to be a walk back, but I ended up sprinting there as I was barefooted and the black asphalt roads were boiling! I wonder how barefoot runners cope with the heat, it'll be interesting to find out.'

So yes, now I have washed up and later at 1830, my friends and I will be catching the Avengers! It's gonna be kickass! I can't wait. Oh yes, and if you're catching it, do remember to stay after the credits to watch something special! :-)

Have a great evening guys! The weekend's coming real soon.

Run Safe, Run Strong, Run Free

No comments:

Post a Comment