Sunday 27 May 2012

Sundown Marathon 2012 (Pre- Race)

Lenney and I signed up for the Sundown Marathon in the first few days of the new year, catching the early bird before it flew off. It was going to be our virgin half-marathon, and it was going to mark my first year of running too. But in February, Lenney's parents had made plans to go on a family vacation to Taiwan, and the date of the vacation unfortunately clashes with Sundown, so he handed his bib over to my Dad, who will be running his first half marathon too.


The Race Pack Entry Collection was held at the RunBikeSwim Expo from 11 - 13 May, there were many great deals there too. After collecting our race bibs, and stocking up on race fuel, we were ready to go!


The Sundown Running Singlet and my Race Bib


Following their 21km fueling strategy, I got this from Shanmugam!

26 MAY 2012 - Race Day!

For the first time in any race, I was pretty nervous. It was going to be my first time at a big scale running event, and I wasn't sure what to expect. In terms of training, I have not been doing too well either as I didn't watch my diet and train regularly. The last time I ran was during MR25's Tuesday Track Session. I told myself that as soon as I am over with this race, I would start doing proper training, with things like long runs at race pace. But first, I had to clear my virgin half-marathon.

I made my way to the race village 4 hours before flag off, in the bus and along the route, I focused myself and tried to visualize my experience. Confusion got the better off me, in the end I decided that I would follow the 2:00 HM Pacers all the way and maintain an easy pace, this decision was probably due to my lack of confidence in maintaining a faster pace as I didn't train at a targeted race pace. And anyway, since it was going to mark my plus/minus one year of running, I wanted to dedicate this run, or rather parts of the run to some very special people. This was also a form of motivation for myself to keep me motivated through the race. I wrote the dedications on my hand. 

2km - Dad
4km - Family
6km - Allah
8km - The Freedom Freaks
10km - Team SBR (Shariff Blade Runner)
12km - Lenney Leong
14km - Student Council EXCO
16km - Eagle
20km - Sundown Crew (Anyone who made Sundown possible)

I was quite nervous so I might have left out some people who played a great role in my running journey, I didn't mean to do that.

Well, at about 9pm, the extended Team SBR (Now known as Shariff Blade Runner) arrived at the Race Village, we got ourselves a table near the photo booth, enjoyed the movie Tower Heist together for about 30 minutes, then Shariff and Hafsah who were doing the 10km which begun at 2230 headed out to do their warm-ups and secure a good starting position. We snapped a picture of Team SBR before heading out! 


Shariff will be running with his new Ossur Flex Run with Nike sole and the Nike Lunarglide+3 on the good leg. He is capable of running at a sub 1:05 pace as he had done in his training run, but due to poor race management by HiVelocity, he was denied a PB, but nontheless his spirit spurred many runners on!

Soon it was time for me and my Dad to go for our race, I met up with the 2:00 HM Pacers and we made our way to the starting line, the Freedom Freaks and I we were just in front of the start line, as we had about one hour to go, we sat down and shared tips and also took some photos! I forgot the fueling strategy provided by Maxifuel, so I made out what I did remember, 60 minutes before the start I ate the ViperBoost Bar and 30 minutes from the start I ate the ViperBoost Gel. Checking against the strategy now, it was actually wrong. I also had a last minute change as I noticed that the ViperActive Gels were too big to fit into the back pocket of my shorts, so I used my shots gel instead, will get a fuel belt before the SCKLM! 

T-minus 10 minutes to flag off, the star-studded front line was filled with elite runners. I got up and did some loosening up, not much space for warming up. I had a chat with Ganesh Sivaraj, one of the HM 2:00 pacers, will be seeing him again soon at the Punggol Waterway Run in about 14 days time. With a couple of minutes to go, I took my place beside the pacers and wished the Freaks and other familiar faces the best of luck! 

Took a quick check on my hand, first two 2km was going to be for my Dad. He was probably with the second or third wave, after snapping pictures of the 10km runners and cheering them on together with Arafat. Well, as the MC counted down the last 10 seconds, and the air horns sounded off, all of our engines took off at full speed, it was time to light up the city!


No comments:

Post a Comment